Monday, December 5, 2011

Aida's sky

Tonight when I got home, I followed and watched as Aida wandered around our backyard.

She spied a lizard and stopped, then chased it until it disappeared.

She picked up leaves and crunched them between her fingers.

She started to eat a rock.

At one point, in surprise, she pointed at the sky and squealed. I turned from facing her to see what she saw. And there it was. A bright sliver of light shining over our backyard.

"The moon, Aida," I said. "The moon is in the sky."

A little while later, I found her staring upward again, this time waving and smiling. I looked up. A plane pink with sunlight floated across the fading blue sky, so delightful to this child that it prompted her to wave.

"Airplane," I said.

"Daaaah," she said.

And with that, Aida discovered the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment